Our Community in Michigan’s East Side
Van Dyke Gas Co. has been providing our residential, commercial, and industrial clients in Romeo and Center Line, MI, with all of their propane energy needs for over 50 years. We are locally owned and operated and proud of our towns.
Romeo, Michigan was originally named Indian Village. The area was first home to the Chippea Indians. As more settlers came into the area, residential homes and businesses popped up in the 1820’s and 1830’s. During that time, the named changed to Hoxie’s Settlement. It eventually became incorporated and renamed the village of Romeo.
Timber became a booming industry in the area. Today, many Victorian mansions, once home to wealthy timber families, still remain. Downtown Romeo also remains very intact and traditional. Romeo is host to the Michigan Lavender Festival every summer as well as the Peach Festival during Labor Day Weekend. The Peach Festival draws large crowds for its car show, floral parade, craft show, 5K/10K, and more!
Center Line, Michigan
Center Line, Michigan, got its start when French, German, Belgium, and Irish emigrants moved in and settled land, to be known as Warren Township, in 1939. This was almost 100 years after the establishment of Fort Detriot.
There are many theories as to how Center Line got its name. The most agreed upon is that it was the middle of three Potowatomi trails connecting Fort Detroit to nothern trading posts. It was a primitive trail, beaten by the Indians, following the “center line” by the French. This trail became a main road for settlers traveling between Utica and Detroit. It is now known as Sherwood Avenue.
Today, Center Line is surrounded by the city of Warren. Historical landmarks include St. Clement Catholic Church and Cemetary. Establishing a church was a major issue that brought early settlers of the area together to form a community.